Friday, April 20, 2007

TGIF!



Thank goodness today is friday!

The clinic attachments have ended yesterday and I'm going to be so much more free.

It's a cold lazy morning. And today's day 2 of my project to but down caffeine to just 1 dose a day. As in, 1 cup of coffee at most. Why? I haven't been sleeping all the best the past few days. And after doing my pharmacology exams, I sorta figured that caffeine is:

1. A drug with a narrow theraputic ratio - too much or too little and you'd easily feel the effects.

2. It's hard to keep a constant dosing regimen. Unless one is a regular morning coffee drinker, the consumption of caffeine is largely irregular, and with irregular blood concentrations, you'll get the caffeine jitters sometimes, and the caffeine crash after that. You'd feel worse.

3. There is much empirical evidence that coffee makes one's sleep irregular. Empirical, meaning, mommy and daddy and friends and neighbours say so. And there's gotta be some truth in this, given it sounds logical.

4. Tolerance develops. You'd need even more caffeine in future and the caffeine lows will be even lower. Not to mention the headaches.

Ouch.

I was musing about changing my room lamp. Instead of a dual tube setup using a 32W tube and a smaller 20W tube, I'd get one with a single 40W tube.

Or wait. How about a self constructed LED lamp? Googled it up. Nay, it'd be too complex and expensive. And to balance the colour temperature using red and green LEDs in addition to white ones will be troublesome. I'd guess I'd stay with the 40W lamps.



Had to rush off to school! Missed the bus. Traffic was bad, had trouble getting a seat on the upper deck. Was it going to be a bad day?

Took a nap on the bus and felt really good after that. So no, lots of little things were going wrong. I was going to be late for school. But no, today isn't a bad day. Cause I feel good. Lecture started late anyway cause there were a bunch of Indonesian docs visiting!



Can I confess? The main motivation for me(and my classmates) to go to school is to hand in our write-ups. Did just that, and stayed for the important bits of the lecture. While blogging on the phone.



Blogging on the phone's tough because you gotta tap out the words at a speed way slower than you can think of them. How do I solve that? I plan out terse summaries, making a rough sketch of the thoughts I'd include. Then when I tap out the actual entry, I can do that mechanically just by following the summary.

And when the important bits were done, off I were to Orchard. Tip: The fastest way to Orchard from NUS Science/Medicine/NUH is to cross the carpark and then the expressway via the bridge. Head across Dover estate to Dover Road, and take bus 14 which is direct.



Was asleep on much of the journey, so the journey really felt like it took only 5 minutes.

Orchard to meet Ryan! First on the agenda. Lunch.



Subway's Pizza sub! The pepperoni slices are ueberly salty but tasty, and the footlong was really really filling.



Hung around, had fun talking about EVERYTHING under the sun. Looked at mobile phones and really, the Nokia E65 seems more and more like the current must-get at the price. Wi-Fi, passable camera and Symbian OS. The Samsung i600 QUERTY phone's quite cool too but it's pricey.



And Orchard library, where I got a mega-haul of books on Ryan's recommendations.

Walked around more, chatted loads, then finally, it's back home again. It's getting hazy, weirdly.

Planning a bike ride and more tomorrow! Maybe shopping for an electric fan for my room, or ceiling lights, or something. And cookie baking on Sunday hopefully!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

yaysh, i rikes the buffy!

*pouts* i prefer nokia e61i!

KC said...

e61i overweight and clunky!

Unknown said...

but but how can u resist a qwerty keypad for blogging on the go, n wifi too! Plus not the most ex phone around woot =p

Pkchukiss said...

Just bring the nice Acer on the road, and you can show the nice professors that you are interested in their lectures, while watching YouTube videos at the same time!

Win-win!

Or join the morbid ranks of Crackberries.

"Throw that darned thing away! You're addicted!"

"NOOOO!!!! I am NOT ADDICTED! I WANT MY EEEEMMAAAAIIIILLLLLLLL!!!!!"

KC said...

even if it's the querty keypad it's about the same number of keystrokes actually!

e65 got wifi too!

yeah it's sorta ok to use the lappy during lectures so as long as you make a few interested glances every now and then, but it's hard to hide those guffaws!

Unknown said...

ooh goodie e61i is juz out and it's only 200bucks more =p