Thursday, July 05, 2007

Monkey Magic

OK, so today's trip to school was more or less a wasted trip.

University Co-op, and got the NUS Centinneal lanyard for my brother and a spare one for myself. Like me thinks it's OMFG KAWAII!!11!! too. And a spare pouch for the MP3 player. Don't look at me funny, it's the least fruity looking one I could get for $2.



Off to Orchard on a bus, seated behind a guy with a Nokia Communicator phone/organizer thingie. He wore a tight colourful tee, bermudas and brown leather shoes with shiny buckles, so you know. Well, at least he looks decent enough to pull it off.

==

Random funny pic for all ya colorectal surgeons. You won't get it unless you know about fistulotomies, so don't rack your brains over it.



==

I had to get some errands done.

1. get my MP3 player back from Sony after repairs. Sony's repair service is great, to be honest. They had short queues, friendly counter staff and processed the paperwork quickly. However what was impressive was that they had repaired it within 72h, rather than the 7 days I was quoted.

Haven't really tried out the battery life to see if it's really fixed, but hey, at least the battery gauge read FULL after an hour of charging, which had never happened for the past few months before.



2. redeem my Free $10 book from Popular. As Orchard Popular was having a closing-down 20% storewide discount, (for some inexplicable reason - it's not as if I'd get any extra benefit given that the 20% discount had nothing to do with it at all) I was not able to use it there. Dammit!

Oh, they still have they Harry Potter pre-orders, except without the free $10 book. Bought 2 lanyard card holders along the way. Mine's dying.

3. eat. Burger King had this $4.25 meal coupon thingie where you got a teeny weeny Coke and a teeny weeny onion rings and a teeny weeny burger for that price. And indeed, they didn't even put in the slice of cheese in my Rendang burger. And it was just that - a bun with a tasteless patty inside. I feel cheated. Damn. Should've taken a photo or something, submitted a complain email in the hopes of getting a meal voucher. But hey, I can't be bothered over a meal. That's cheapskate!

At least the onion rings taste like onion rings.

==

It's the era where many of the bands we love are churning out their sophmone albums - Thirteen Senses, Editors, Velvet Revolver, Kaiser Chiefs, Arctic Monkeys, just to name a very few. I wonder how they're faring? Well, if they're that good, I would have heard of them, and many of them probably didn't make the cut. Sigh. Time to scout out new bands!

==

On this weekday afternoon, Orchard is teeming with guys acting romantic with other guys, and guys who dress like they want to be romantic with another guy. You can sort of tell. Guys who look extremely vain, sometimes effeminate, but most of the time the gaydar just beeps.

Or they're so obviously fondling each other, just like 2 of the couples I saw today.

I've got totally nothing against them - sometimes you can look at them holding hands and acting totally sweet, and just know that they truly love each other deeply - no doubt about it. It takes alot of love to want to ignore how the whole world sneers and jeers and just be lost in each other. And that's so AWWWW SO SCHWEEEET N KAWAII I WANNA GO OUT THERE AND CONGRATULATE THEM.

But, well, what's with all that whole gay-culture thing? Dressing so garishly, wearing tees so tight, speaking so effeminately, that even the most stoic of people cringe. It's one thing for them to like guys, but another thing to go running around Orchard Road, flaunting and parading their holier-than-thou attitude.

I've got a few hypotheses:
1. They do that as a mating call, so they seek other men who are like them.
2. They want to fit into that gay culture thingie. Peer pressure is a more powerful force than most of us reckon.
3. The same thing that makes them gay makes them act that way - maybe they're effeminate due to biology, and that same biological traits make them gay.
4. They tend to be more vain. And hmm, I really can't think of any reason why.
5. Gay pride.

I can't claim to understand, so, well, let's just leave it as that. But gay pride? Eww. I dunno, minority pride of any kind gives me the shudders. Gay pride, minority-race pride, physical-disability pride, etc. Honourable or not, it feels like they're trying too hard.

The best form of acceptance is equal rights, not preferential treatment.

==

Currently listening to The Phantom of the Opera DVD my mom bought in Hong Kong - great stuff! Sadly, no surround sound in my room so it's either the bland-sounding 2.0 track or the weird-sounding downmix of the 5.1 version.

No comments: