Sunday, July 08, 2007

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time

I had no idea what this movie was about when I was dragged into it by my bunch of closer classmates. I guess I trust their taste and all. However, what was the clincher was that the movie was created in part by Yoshiyuki Sadamoto who's the character designer in my favourite anime series ever, Neon Genesis Evangelion.

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
is, well, self explanatory. It's about a girl who can leap through time! After finding herself saved from a fatal bicycle accident by a time leap, she slowly discovers how she could make use of it to get what she wants, although with sometimes dire consequences.

While it contains sci-fi elements and a fair dose of the typical time travel themes (boy do we get so sick of them), the film is largely a romantic comedy.

Funny most of the way but tragic at times, it explores the sweetness and innocence of teen love.

Really, there's hardly any sci-fi so the time travel thing shouldn't turn the female audience off.

While the feel-good factor of the film works out really well, it's also quite a forgettable one. Sorta like Meet The Robinsons, only Japanese.

No comments: