Saturday, January 06, 2007

Behind the scenes - how a blog entry is produced here

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

The headquarters. It's a mess, but everything's where I want them to be. A cosy place where I spend hour after hour with not just work, but also play and music and everything else do-able on a computer.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Most pictures on this blog are done by my camera phone, a Sony Ericsson k750i. It has this 2 megapixel camera with autofocus that can do really nice photos in bright light, but quality suffers whenever it's dark, or when artificial lighting is used.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

For everything else, and shots from home, a 4 -megapixel Canon Powershot A520 with a ton of manual modes to satisfy the photographer in me. Having grown up learning on manual film SLRs, I'd feel somewhat disabled when I don't have these manual features handy. Sadly, the camera is getting erratic lately, and keeps on complaining that the batteries are low on power despite them being quite OK actually.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I use MyPhoneExplorer, a third-party program for syncing with Sony Ericsson phones. I download the photos onto my computer via Bluetooth.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

It's sorta slow, taking about 20 seconds per 400KB photo. I also sync my photos from the Canon, using either USB (slower) or the card reader on the notebook itself.

I drag them all into Photoshop. Some photos need major cropping and rework on colour balance and brightness and contrast levels. However, most are quite alright and I use a macro I did up myself to fine-tune the levels automatically, resize to an acceptable resolution, sharpen the photo and save it as JPEG all at once.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Next I use Imageshack toolbar to upload all the photos at once, then copy over the links from Imageshack to Blogger.

I add the text, publish the blog and I'm done. This is the workflow I've finally settled on after lots of fumbling aroudn with the various programs and websites. Efficient, eh?

No comments: