Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Of eyes and ears (Tuesday)

I can't stand the MRT.

1. Crowded
2. The air is so still you can almost always smell someone else's body odour
3. The seats are really narrow and I'm sorta broad
4. The screeching wheels and the roar of the wind

And point 4 was bugging me especially badly, because idiot me forgot to switch off the MP3 player the day before and the battery was dead by then! Nothing to block out all those noises! Had to endure the screeching of the wheels, the roar of the wind and the whine of the electric motors and the dull thuds of the gearbox. Not to mention rowdy passengers and the guy who sat next to me who kept on clearing his throat.

Note to self: Make sure MP3 player is charged before attempting MRT ride.

It wasn't too bad at least, I managed to get a seat on the train, and even had a short nap.

Ang Mo Kio, and I got my new contact lenses! Wasn't easy cause I went there a week and a half ago and apparently I got weird extra-flat corneas so gotta order the flatter version. Friendly optician guided me through all the procedures and stuff. took a number of tries before clumsy me got it spot-on!

It's weird to be seeing things clearly without spectacles. Since spectacles make everything smaller, and contacts don't, now I gotta re-calibrate my hand-eye coordination again! Kept on missing the bus bell/ traffic light button/ grab poles etc.

It's quite cool. Usually I stumble around at home without spectacles cause I find them troublesome, so when I went around at home with contacts, everything looked super-clear - never noticed all those little fruits growing on the plants in the balcony and all the stray hairs on my bed!

And looking out of the window feels weird cause it's so clear I can almost imagine the people from the opposite of the block staring in all the time, cause I can see exactly what's going on in their flats heh.

Well, I gotta try it out for a while longer, then I'll make a conscious decision on whether I should stick to contacts!

No comments: