Saturday, November 25, 2006

King of the Mountains!



It's a freaking hell of a perfect day!

Today's ride day cause I couldn't be assed to ride yesterday.

Woke up early and pounced onto my trusty aluminium steed while everyone else was having their beauty sleep.

Saturday, and Old Upper Thomson Road transforms into a training ground for cyclists from all over, roadies, mountain bikers, triathletes, even the casual cyclist with foldable bikes.

Weather's perfect. Balmy wind to keep things cool, while the rays of sunlight streaked the misty morning air.

Caucasian roadie overtook me on the flat ground so I tailed behind him. A little hard keeping on his tail but when the hill came, he really slowed down alot and I was like, 'is that all the challenge you can give me?'. Was literally coasting uphill. Not to be arrogant or anything, but it seems like I'm so much better at uphills nowadays.

Wasn't an easy ride today, barrelling all the way trying to get overtaken by as few roadies as possible. Then decided to go into the Upper Peirce entrance road cause I haven't been there for a while.

A recap. This road has several climbs that are pretty insane - insane enough such that many casual cyclists with their $150 bikes are unable to scale at all. And I sorta breezed through it all.

Took a quick rest at the reservoir and turned back. The sunlight streaking the misty air was really beautiful.



Was admiring it when a female triathlete overtook me with a whoosh and buzz of gears. made a half-hearted chase up to the hill, then saw her really burning out on the hill. Let's just say her climbing technique needs alot of work. Her hips were gyrating madly (not a good thing) and she could barely keep her balance. Had half a mind to scream at her 'Hey, you'd climb much better if you keep your torso still!' Maybe she made a bad choice of gearing too.

Made a half-hearted effort to overtake her on the uphill and in a minute, she was out of sight. Yay King of the Mountains me!

After a kilometre or so on the flat ground, she overtook me again. Oh well, my endurance needs work. But but, I'm riding a mountain bike with slow heavy tyres and she's on a heavily-decked-out tri-bike! No fair! She zipped past downhill at a speed I wasn't willing to follow, with all those reversing vehicles around and all.

Weather's beautiful, it's a weekend, it's finally Saturday - gathering day! So happy I just have to tell everyone!

"It's a beautiful day, don't let it get away!" - U2

No comments: