Wednesday, September 13, 2006

On walking


They say walking soothes the mind, freshens the lungs and cleanses the soul.

Not to me. Walking sucks.

Whenever I have any real distance to walk, I feel like some clumsy public bus ambling through crowded and narrow roads, having to swerve here and there to avoid all the traffic all over.

Rushing from one place to another, from one flight of stairs, to a zebra crossing, to a concrete slope, then across a carpark, et cetra. It's dull. Really dull.

BEWARE. WIDE LOAD.

It's no secret that I'm wider than most people. It's not fat, it's bones! My shoulders are placed rather far apart, and that makes for quite a bit of awkardness whenever I have to pass by someone else along a narrow path.

I really don't see the deal with walking. Dodging people irritates the nerves, hurts the feet and, in a humid climate like Singapore's, makes you sweat and heat up like nobody's business. I hate walking so much, I try to get it over and done with as soon as possible, and in the process, I end up having to dodge and squeeze past even more people, and I get even more sweaty. Stupid you may say, but I really don't see myself trying to enjoy the process of walking.

You know how last time we had those TIBS buses with those huge metal wheel hubs that heated up whenever they braked heavily? And when it rained, the raindrops that fell onto those scalding hubs vapourised into a steaming fog. I feel that exact way after a long walk in the scorching afternoon sun.

I hate walking.

No comments: