Thursday, September 28, 2006

Chasing Buses

Not having lessons today, I finally had time for my long-delayed bike ride.

Mashing on the pedals of my bike, zipping up hills and zooming down inclines is really theraputic to me. I need my regular fix, just to clear my mind, have something to focus on, vent some energy.

Didn't really ride for long today though, as I exhausted myself out too early, chasing buses.

It's quite a pleasant feeling really, tailing the butt of a bus, hopefully being able to get a good draft so I can tail it all the way to the next bus stop, where I overtake it. Then the bus overtakes me again, and I tail it again. Getting a good draft means that you can sometimes reach 40kmh almost effortlessly. Don't do it too many times though, for it'll irritate the bus drivers. They have feelings too!

So I mashed my way up the hills of Upper Thomson Road and Sembawang Road. Like that road, sheltered by trees all over, with nothing except me and the roaring traffic around.

I guess I tried too hard cause I bonked out on the way back. Bonking out is a horrible feeling. It's like, my energy was so rapidly sapped away, it felt lke my legs couldn't move anymore. And it wreaks havoc on one's emotional well-being too. Bouts of crying have been documented in bicycling forums in a serious bonk. It just felt like I had every happy though robbed from me.

And to top it all off, this SMRT bus had to horn at me for 3 seconds, then overtake me with less than a foot's distance away from me, which was extremely dangerous. Had it been a bendy bus I'd bet that the tail would've hit me. Hey, I was just on the road minding my own business when I had to be harassed by a rogue driver.

The bus went into the bus stop and I overtook it, and a moment later, it did the same thing to me, except without horning. I was incensed, I was irritated, I was frustrated. The bonk also added to it all.

Then I just took damn near the whole lane the next time I was ahead, so it had no choice to give me a wide berth. But it felt really crappy. It's like, my life's so worthless and all, that anyone can threaten my safety or even kill me. Just like that.

Doesn't matter who I am, what I do, if they don't know me they'd just ram me down all the same. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but anyway, it just sucks.

Oh and Ryan sent me a MMS! Haven't received one ever since, uh, I can't even remember? Yay that cheered me up.

No comments: