Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Some random snippets of Wednesday


Decided to cut off the hem of my old pair of jeans. The bottoms are sorta permanently stained, so heck, why not experiment and make some frayed bottoms?


Morning run. Felt really weak, maybe it's tiredness, maybe it's just being out of shape, maybe it's the crap I've been eating lately. But oh well, at least I'm trying, so it's totally OK by me.

Thai Express food!:



Beef kway teow. Yummy.


Chicken in green curry with rice. Ueberly hot, and like msot thai curries and tom yam, makes my nose go crazy. Other than that, it's pretty okay.


Dessert. Steamed tapioca with coconut milk! Actually ordered a mango glutinous rice too, but apparently they ran out of good mangoes. Arrgh! Was looking forward so much to that, having ate it last time.

They don't advertise it or anything, but Thai Express desserts are good. The last time I ate at Thai Express, I ordered a dessert only because there was some promotion or something. And that mango glutinous rice turned out to be heavenly.

Decided to try out my culinary skills and do up a beef steak.

Got the cheapest beef from NTUC. This costs $2. Marinated it with herbs, paprika and pepper.

Cooking isn't easy. I got everything splattering all over, I was fumbling around not knowing if the meat was cooked, panicking all throughout. Halfway through the beef slices popped out in the middle and I had to press them forcefully back onto the pan and all. Yikes!

The result:

Tough. A little bland, from a lack of salt. Even though the meat was still slightly pink (therefore being not overcooked) it was really tough. It's probable that the cheapest cuts of meat are inherently tough - should've got a pricier cut of beef, maybe a ribeye! Also, after Googling up some recipes I realised that I was using way too high a heat.

Well, better luck for me next time!

2 comments:

Agagooga said...

Try tenderising the beef with a tenderiser, then rubbing a pinch of baking soda into the beef and letting it sit for a while (unsure of the duration).

KC said...

hey thanks for the suggestions!

i'm going to do the baking soda thing definitely!

i'm a little reluctant to use tenderiser though, don't like the idea of pre-digesting my food