Monday, January 22, 2007

Privacy policy - Draft 1

Privacy. It's an ethical dilemma. No I'm not talking about my own privacy - I know exactly how much I want to divulge and how much I want to keep private.

I'm talking about the privacy of others. There are many issues that are assumed to be private (including real name, age, illness, associations, work, etc) unless mentioned otherwise. The usual stuff. So in this case, the policy is:

I will not divulge potentially private information about someone else, unless
1. explicit permission is given
2. the someone in question has already mentioned it in his/her easily-accessible blog
3. it's an 'open secret'
4. the information is unlikely to be of any real consequence, e.g. "Richie thinks Borat rocks."

Photos too, I'm really reluctant to put photos of people who aren't me. But ethically, I have the full rights to, because photography is always allowed in public places unless otherwise stated. But as a polite gesture, I don't post the photos of people if they don't feel comfortable with it. But if the other party camwhores on his blog/doesn't mind/etc, by all means. But generally, I'm not totally comfortable with posting pictures of human beings.

No comments: