Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Music

I remember a week back when i was in the train, idly sitting beside a young but plain looking lady with an iPod nano plugged to her ears. She looked just like any typical harassed commuter on the train, eager to get where she wants to go and leave in a jiffy.

Out of curiosity I peered at what she had in her collection and I saw Aqualung. I fell in love immediately. With her musical choices I mean. Not her. It's strange how you can immediately feel like you know someone just by peering into his music collection and seeing all those favourites you have in common.

Just a peer at her music, and she's no longer another faceless commuter but someone unique, someone special. Well of course I couldn't approach here abut this, because it'd be like eavesdropping on her, then repeating what she had said to herself.

Most of my closest friends agree somewhat with my music tastes. From those i've known since i was a kid. If a friend has too different music tastes it'd be weird. It'll be so irritating to have to explain myself each time, who the hell is the Guns and Roses, what does punk mean, how come I'm not familiar with whatever singer they love and I don't.

Meeting friends who share the same favourite musiciand and musical styles, it's like meeting a familiar face who speaks your tongue in a strange land. Immediately there's something to talk about, something to feel something for, to stand up for. And every time you leave such a conversation, you'd know of a couple more songs you should take a listen to.

Music's so lovely. It brings people together, no kidding.

No comments: